Cell Segmentation Using Level Set Methods with a New Variance Term
- ID: 2720, RIV: 10325056
- ISSN: not specified, ISBN: 978-3-319-41501-7
- source: 13th International Conference, ICIAR 2016, in Memory of Mohamed Kamel, Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal, July 13-15, 2016, Proceedings
- keywords: segmentation; level set method; active contours; phase contrast microscopy
- authors: Zuzana Bílková, Jindřich Soukup, Václav Kučera
- authors from KNM: Kučera Václav
We present a new method for segmentation of phase-contrast microscopic images of cells. The algorithm is based on the variational formulation of the level set method, i.e. minimizing of a functional, which describes the level set function. The functional is minimized by a gradient ow described by an evolutionary partial differential equation. The most significant new ideas are initialization using thresholding and the introduction of a new term based on local variance that speeds up con-vergence and achieves more accurate results. The proposed algorithm is applied on real data and compared with another algorithm.