On numerical solution of compressible flow in time-dependent domains
- ID: 2655, RIV: 10129933
- ISSN: 0862-7959, ISBN: not specified
- source: Mathematica Bohemica
- keywords: compressible Navier-Stokes equations; arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian method; discontinuous Galerkin finite element method; interior and boundary penalty
- authors: Miloslav Feistauer, J. Horáček, Václav Kučera, Jaroslava Prokopová
- authors from KNM: Feistauer Miloslav, Kučera Václav
The paper deals with numerical simulation of a compressible flow in time-dependent 2D domains with a special interest in me\-dical applications to airflow in the human vocal tract. The mathematical model of this process is described by the compressible Navier-Stokes equations. For the treatment of the time-dependent domain, the arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) method is used. The discontinuous Galerkin finite element method (DGFEM) is used for the space semidiscretization of the governing equations in the ALE formulation. The time discretization is carried out with the aid of a linearized semi-implicit method with good stability properties. We present some computational results for the flow in a channel, representing a model of glottis and a part of the vocal tract, with a prescribed motion of the channel walls at the position of vocal folds.