Numerical simulation of airflow through the model of oscillating vocal folds
- ID: 2566, RIV: 10082107
- ISSN: 1802-680X, ISBN: not specified
- source: Applied and Computational Mechanics
- keywords: Numerical simulation; airflow; model of oscillating vocal folds
- authors: Jaroslava Prokopová, Miloslav Feistauer, Jaromír Horáček, Václav Kučera
- authors from KNM: Feistauer Miloslav, Kučera Václav
This work deals with numerical simulation of flow in time-dependent 2D domains with a special interest in medical applications to airflow in human vocal folds. The mathematical model of this process is described by the compressible Navier-Stokes equations. For the treatment of the time-dependent domain, the Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) method is used. The discontinuous Galerkin finite element method (DGFEM) is used for the space semidiscretization of the governing equations in the ALE formulation. The time discretization is carried out with the aid of a linearized semi-implicit method with good stability properties. We present some computational results for flow in a channel with a prescribed periodic motion of a part of the channel walls.