The ALE discontinuous Galerkin method for the simulation of air flow through pulsating human vocal folds
- ID: 2495, RIV: 10051859
- ISSN: not specified, ISBN: 978-0-7354-0831-9
- source: International Conference of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics ICNAAM 2010
- keywords: discontinuous Galerkin method; ALE formulation; flow through vocal folds
- authors: Miloslav Feistauer, Václav Kučera, Jaroslava Prokopová, Jaromír Horáček
- authors from KNM: Feistauer Miloslav, Kučera Václav
The aim of this work is the simulation of viscous compressible flows in human vocal folds during phonation. The computational domain is a bounded subset of R2, whose geometry mimics the shape of the human larynx. During phonation, parts of the solid impermeable walls are moving in a prescribed manner, thus simulating the opening and closing of the vocal chords. As the governing equations we take the compressible Navier-Stokes equations in ALE form. Space semidiscretization is carried out by the discontinuous Galerkin method combined with a linearized semi-implicit approach. Numerical experiments are performed with the resulting scheme.